Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky 43%
“Running up that Hill (of the Juniper Bush)” – Kate Bush
Region: Highland, Scotland
Strength: 43% ABV
Chill Filtered: Yes
Sold in the US as “Tomatin Dualchas”, which is the Scots Gaelic word for ‘heritage’.
Tomatin has been officially producing Whisky since 1897 however off the books it may have been operating since the 1700s!
Tomatin translates from “Hill of the Juniper Bush” making this location ideal for illicit distilling with access to plenty of juniper wood which gives off no smoke while burning.
In the 1970’s Tomatin was the biggest distillery in Scotland and 2nd behind the Japanese distillery Hakushu in the whole world. While the brand recognition may not reflect that level of grandness today, it is certainly a distillery that is held in high regards by Whisky folk.
The Legacy (or Dualchas in the USA) is a non-age statement that is one of few expressions Tomatin produce that is Chill-filtered with added colouring. This release is 80% 7 -8 year old first-fill bourbon with the other 20% being around 4 year old in Virgin oak.
To try to ensure as high standards as possible they get their virgin oak casks sent over from wood experts, Kelvin Cooperage in Kentucky.
Shout out to Tomatin Global Brand Ambassador, Scott Adamson for a brilliant tasting.
While an attractive bottle it doesn’t really stand out from the crowd and could be lost on a busy shelf of spirits. However, hidden behind the plastic seal on the bottleneck, sits a fantastic wooden cork with their branded hog stamped into it. A design feature that is a bit lost in their full logo.
A welcoming yellow-gold hue, it has had colouring added to ensure consistency as well as appealing to the International market.
I feared that I had lost my sense of smell after struggling to find any aroma from the glass on the first pour. After a tactical taste of this dram, I was relieved that it was down to the very subtle aroma and not from a nasty virus.
After digging like a hog’s snout in a trough, I pick up some sweet vanilla, a little bit of cherry and custard powder. The bourbon cask is certainly at the forefront.
A drop of water doesn’t really release any hidden delights on the nose. Maybe a little bit of banana but that is about it.
What a contrast! There is a fantastic creamy texture, akin to a toffee milkshake with plenty of malt in the mixture. It avoids being boring by providing a delightful punch of spice between each sip.
On the back, there is fresh cut grass and floral notes providing a more delicate finish than expected. The texture thins out at the final stage but provides an impressively good amount of warmth clinging on ready for your next sip.
Tomatin Legacy was the fasted disappearing act my eyes have ever seen. However, this was mainly due to was shared out with friends which certainly added to the experience and enjoyment I got out of this bottle.
I picked it up for a bargain £21.95 on Amazon (had to double-check this as I didn’t trust my notes!) but it can often be found below £25. I think that price for a good tasting Whisky is pretty decent value.
Verdict: Not a whisky to hog
These reviews are done solely for entertainment and reference purposes. I am not a writer, just someone who wants to blab on about booze so please excuse the many spelling and grammatical mistakes.
While I try to ensure all information is accurate do let me know if you see any mistakes.
Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky 46.3%
The BEST Deanston, not even going to sugar coat it.
Island Single Malt Scotch Whisky 46.3%
A non age statement strikes again with a hefty help of red wine in this bottle. The mix of peat, sweet and cheap at it's best.
Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky 54.9%
Single Cask pick by the Whisky Content Creator and host of the Vpub Aqvavitae.
Irish Blended Whiskey 40%
Does three casks make a Whiskey three times as good? No, no and no, but is it the worst Irish whiskey so far?
Highland Single Malt Scotch 44%
Is this the best Dalmore? Close but no cigar but the added abv certainly does help
10 Year Old Blended Malt Scotch 48%
Is this Heretic going to shape up the blended market? Or is there no more heroes anymore?
Just another whiskey snob, who doesn’t like whiskey with NAS. Tomatin Legacy is a very well made whiskey and it’s a steal for the price. Especially in Canada where whiskey is very expensive. It’s 3.5 out of 5 or a B+. Tomatin makes very good whiskey’s for everyone at any price point.
Hey Jim, cheers for reading. Not sure if you have misunderstood my scoring system as 16/24 is a very respectable score? I am all for NAS, young, blends, grains… especially when they are wallet friendly.
hard to stop drinking. excellent value i am sherry drinker/scotch the bourbon is a bonus 4+